In 2014 my 1st telescoping tower blew over from a wind that was about 60mph. This was not surprising since my guys that went almost to the top of the tower were anchored  by only an 1/8 inch screw screwed into the fence. 

The first telescoping tower lasted three or four years before it was blown down. Admittedly the tower was made with pretty light construction (Aluminum base was  3″ X 3″ X 0.1″ aluminum) but would have lasted longer if the guy anchor was more substantial.

A trip to the roof (which cost $500 to repair because of damaged tiles) was needed to remove the antennas and cut the old tower down. 

After a few months of design a new tower made of more subtantial  steel material (3″ wide and 1/4″ thich) was conceived and improved by another neighbor who was a mechanical engineer and a machinist. I happily worked on constructing this design for about another year and nearly got it constructed when a structural engineer neighbor offered to do the structural analysis/design for free with the aim of getting a city permit. Sometime later when his firm could do it ….voila it was done. 

I completed the cities paperwork and paid the substantial fees and work began. I used a concrete saw to cut the base dimensions out…and started digging. I used a Harbor freight post hole digger to loosen the soil I dug out of the hole. I formed the rebar needed by the mechanical drawing (if you build something similar…loop the rebar around the corner rebar…otherwise inspection won’t buy it off!). I contacted a local cement company and specified the strength of the concrete. They made concrete that was about 5x stronger than required. I knew it was stronger because I had a concrete testing company measure it. I got it measured for liability reasons…if the concrete isn’t strong enough the tower could come down.

I purchased all the materials from a Telsteel, local steel supplier and hauled it home in my F150. I purchased a Little machine shop mill and lathe to finish the bearings and the pully supports. Later I bought welding equipment that I used to construct the table for the elevation motor.

I pulled the telescoping sections up with the telescoping tower (3X3X0.25 previously made) so I wouldn’t have to take the patio cover down. This likely will not be the way most people do it….they will just raise it up perhaps with a tripod. I used the previously completed telescoping tower because I had it and it was ready to use.

After I had the baseplate welded by a competent pro welder I brought it back to TelStee where I procured the materia and had it and the other squae tubes galvanized (the old tower rusted on the steel sections)
Close Menu